excited state optimization

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

aijitha_john

excited state optimization

#1 Post by aijitha_john » Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:25 am

Dear VASP users,
I am attempting to optimize the excited state of a system using the FERWE and FERDO flags. I've noticed that when performing the calculation with multiple k-points, the geometry appears incorrect. However, when I optimize the supercell using only the gamma point, the geometry looks reasonable. Is this a common occurrence? Additionally, during the excited state frequency calculation with the supercell (again using FERWE and FERDO), I am getting unusually large imaginary frequencies. Has this type of frequency calculation been tested before?

marie-therese.huebsch

Re: excited state optimization

#2 Post by marie-therese.huebsch » Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:33 am

Hi,

Not exactly sure what you are describing by "geometry appears incorrect". Could you please upload a minimal reproducible according to the forum guidelines?

Cheers,
Marie-Therese

aijitha_john

#3 Post by aijitha_john » Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:09 am

Dear Marie-Therese,
I have found that occupation is not constrained in the vasp calculations as given in INCAR. I am using vasp 6.4.2.
Is there any mistake in input or bug in vasp?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marie-therese.huebsch

#4 Post by marie-therese.huebsch » Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:09 am

Hi,

to my knowledge, FERWE and FERDO can only be used as an initialization (like MAGMOM) and not as a constraint. I guess you could use NELM=1 to simulate an ad hoc change of Fermi weights, but I don't have experience with that. I will ask around and get back to you.

Meanwhile, could you please attach the output and describe the goal of your calculation? Why do you want to constrain the occupations rather than determine them self-consistently? This is just for me to understand better what you aim for and find a way to make it happen in VASP.

Best regards,
Marie-Therese